Zombie (Aku-Aku Restaurant)
- Lemon Hart 151-Proof Demerara Rum - 3/4 oz
- Gold Puerto Rican Rum - 3/4 oz
- Dark Jamaican Rum - 3/4 oz
- Lime Juice - 3/4 oz
- Grapefruit Juice - 3/4 oz
- Cinnamon Syrup - 3/4 oz
- Zombie Mix - 1/2 tsp
- Angostura Bitters - 1 dash
- Blend everything with 1/2 cup crushed ice for 5 seconds. Pour into a tall glass. Add more ice to fill. Garnish with a mint sprig.
Zombie Mix is made by combining equal parts of grenadine, falernum, orange curaçao, and Pernod. If only making one drink, use 1/8 teaspoon of each.
This version of the Zombie is from the Aku-Aku restaurant, 1964. Beachbum got the recipe from Eric Felton, cocktail columnist for Wall Street Journal. Beachbum believes that this is another Don the Beachcomber’s Zombie, since Donn was hired to design Aku-Aku’s menu in 1959; and that it strongly resembles the original Don the Beachcomber Zombie, with only the proportions that were changed.
I love how the cinnamon and grapefruit are now much more pronounced, it really helps to bring out the molasses and coffee flavours from the dark rums. It’s a very enjoyable Zombie.